Thursday, May 14, 2009

Our brave boy...

Today Jeremy had an esophascopy. After a few complaints about having a hard time swallowing and being referred to a gastroentologist who told us that there is a link between Jeremy's original birth defect, potential after effects and the relatively chronic bronchial/respiratory/croup and ear infections Jeremy is prone to, we decided to do the scope to see if Jeremy had any damage or if he needed a dilation of his original surgical site. This morning we headed to Kaiser and Jeremy went under general anesthesia for the scope and dilation (which he did need).

Jerry and I had a fun time watching a couple of scary nurses who we were really grateful were not assigned to Jeremy because we would have had to ask for a new nurse... Have you ever watched someone stay really busy looking busy while never accomplishing anything?? Today we witnessed that for three hours. We were very grateful for the great doctor and anesthesiologist Jeremy had. Other than the often great, but sometimes not so great, medical care that Jeremy has had I am also grateful that from these experiences we have had with Jeremy, we have learned that only you can be the best advocate for you and your families' medical care and that traditional western medicine is not always the answer although we are so grateful to have it when it is the answer.

Mostly we are grateful for our sweet Jeremy who was very brave both going into and coming out of anesthesia!

8 comments:

THE TOKI TRIBE said...

Jeremy is such a cutie!! I hope everything goes well..and yes he is such a brave boy!!

Stacie Lang said...

You will have to let us know when you get the results.

I am glad he was so brave, that always makes it easier when they are not crying and afraid. Good job Jeremy.

sarahhicken said...

Oh, I hope he is doing well now. Good Luck and hopefully he will be better.

Kristi said...

Wow! What an ordeal for a little boy! I am glad that my little brother is so brave (and so cool!). I hope the results turn out good.

ma'elePHOTO said...

What a brave little boy! He's such a cutie. Hope that everything goes well.

Jill said...

It's hard to see your kids have to go through medical stuff...but I'm glad he was so brave, it makes it easier for you. You're such good parents!

Angela D said...

How is Jeremy doing now? Did the procedure help?

Susan said...

Jeremy is doing well. The procedure went well and hopefully will keep more illnesses at bay. The doctor said he may need more procedures down the road or may never need another one. They really don't know how it will go long term but the blessing is as he gets older (late teen/adult) he won't need to go under general anesthesia for the procedure.