Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I love my lists...

... and my little observant boy who already knows that his mommy works off of lists, checks them twice, re-writes them when they get too messy and even adds stuff/tasks to her lists, that she forgot to include originally but just got done, just for the joy of crossing off something else that I have accomplished that day or week.

The other day Jeremy was very excited to show me a treat he received after his baseball game. He wanted me to remember to get some for his lunches. I told him I would try to remember and he said, "Just add it to your list mom." I guess I am a creature of habit and I love that at 5 he is able to recognize it.

Anybody else out there a list maker that takes joy in crossing things off their list for the sense of accomplishment it provides?

9 comments:

ma'elePHOTO said...

I'm not a list maker. I should be though. Maybe I wouldn't forget so many things... I used to think I could just remember everything, until I realized having 4 kids/ house to run/ activities/ business... it's just WAAY too much for this "unlister' brain to remember.

Do you keep your lists on paper or in your blackberry/iphone???? or Planner??? Just curious for inspiration!

Shelly! said...

Susan - I doubt this will come as a surprise but I love lists. Some days, especially when I'm not sure what I've done, I remake a list of what I am done just to show that I HAVE indeed done things.

I am getting so excited for the next 35 days for you!! So close and so exciting!

THE TOKI TRIBE said...

I do EXACTLY the same thing. Rewrite when it gets too messy, add things Just so I can cross it off and it feels like I got more accomplished!!! Im glad to know I'm not alone!!!

Angela D said...

Yes - not ten minutes ago I stood at the refrig crossing things off my list. I even thought that my old fashioned paper list is much more satisfying to use than a fancy digital one.

Susan said...

Maele ~ I am an old fashioned paper and pen list maker - remember part of the joy is crossing things off the list - there's no joy in erasing things digitally. In the last year when my list felt overwhelming I started breaking it down into weeks. Right now I have a pad of paper and on each sheet is the Monday of each week for the next two months with a list of items for that week. At the end of June I have a July/August page where I have a brainstorm list for those two months started and when I hit that page I will create another two months of weekly lists and break things down into the weeks they can or need to be accomplished by. It's not a perfect system but it keeps me on better track and a little more sane. I add purchases to the lists as well so it spreads out projects or purchases that need to be budgeted for like for instance doing the nursery and buying a stroller are budgeted as to do items on weeks where Jerry or I get paid in the month of June. I
still use a planner and one of my projects this summer is to try to go digital and use the palm system on my phone for appts. etc. Long answer but that's my crazy system...

Danya said...

AMEN TO LISTS! I have NO IDEA where my life would be without LISTS!!!!!!!!

JeN said...

I LOVE lists.. I make them for Everything, sometimes 2 for the same thing.. Goals, Weekly Schedule, Monthly needs, Shopping lists, Weekly Menu.. Whatever.. I am a list freak with ya!!! And I too, love crossing off the list- makes me feel like I have gotten so much accomplished!!! I have a "list notebook" that says MOM on the front of it, my kids know NOT to touch it :)

jwilson said...

Add me to your list of listmakers. ;) I also often add the things that are already done just so I have another thing to cross off.

Thanks for your ideas and inspiration in your answer to Maele. I'm going to try that.

Hope you are feeling well! I am getting anxious for you!!!!

Jen

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, if I don't have a list I walk into Target and I swear they have a mind sweeping device that makes me go completely blank about why I am even at the store to begin with.