Friday, October 3, 2008

In Vitro Round 2

So next week we will begin our next and final round of infertility treatments. I have about 15k of insurance left on my lifetime maximum coverage of infertility treatment through my company and the next round of in vitro will wipe that out… Can you believe it costs so much? Babies are not considered necessary but it seems a little unfair. I am so grateful for the insurance I have. It is unusual to have the coverage I do and I cannot tell you how many times I have been told by Loma Linda how lucky I am.

So just for fun, I thought I would give a little rundown of what things cost if you are blessed with the trial of infertility:

One Month of Kaiser Infertility Treatment
• All office procedures at 50% co pay: $826.50
• Prescriptions for one month of treatment: $400-$600

Our total out of pocket after 5 rounds of treatment at Kaiser: approx. $6000-$8000


One round of In Vitro:

• All office procedures for one cycle: $8000
• All medications for one cycle of in vitro: $4000-6000
Total out of pocket yearly maximum deductibles: $4000


Pregnancy tests
:
• One box per month for 3.5 years - $840 - hope is an expensive thing...

Approximate total out of pocket for us: $10,840

Approximate total out of pocket costs if we had not had insurance: $35,000


And finally… this is what $4000 of medication looks like:




Be grateful for your fertility. I know sometimes there are days it may be hard to be. :)

I am so grateful for my great insurance coverage and the opportunity to look back and know I tried everything medically possible to have another baby to hold.
I am really grateful for the chance I have had to have one baby. There are many women who sit in the waiting room with me who would be happy to trade me places and I try to never forget that.

4 comments:

Kristi said...

Joseph and I will pray for you. Thanks for having such a great out look, it is such an example to me. I am sure glad you got Jeremy, he's a great little brother. We all look forward to seeing you next week.

ma'elePHOTO said...

Susan, I pray for all the BEST for you during this next round of in vitro. The expense involved in this process is just baffling to me. I had NO clue.

Reading this reminds me to be SO grateful!

jwilson said...

Thanks for the reminder to be grateful for my babies! :) I had NO idea just HOW amazingly expensive treatments are.

Susan, I will be thinking of you and praying for your beautiful family.

Kalyn said...

Susan,
I'm so sorry you have to endure this too. I thought those that had to wait for their husband didn't have to have infertility too. I guess the Lord thinks you're special and really wants to mold you to perfection.

I will keep you in my prayers.