I know that many of us may be tiring of the Prop 8 discussion but every once in a while I have something emailed to me that reconfirms the importance of us being as involved as possible in this issue. Below is a video about how Massachusetts and how their educational curriculum was impacted when this legislation passed in their state. The experience of a child being read a book, in school, about a homosexual relationship was told by parents in Massachusetts. The book is a love story, with illustrations, called King & King.
Imagine this book being read to your little sons and daughters? Can you? Based on the data entry I am doing for our Prop 8 walks and calls, I am afraid that homeschooling is in my future! It is something I have long considered doing but in the interest of my child's spiritual health and developing identity as a heterosexual man, it may be necessary.
What do you think about the video??
June 15, 2016
10 years ago
9 comments:
It seems we will have a lot to talk about when we do get together. I'm on the opposite side of this issue and start doing my calls/walks for No On 8 next week.
I am always glad to hear how others feel about important issues and appreciate hearing/reading your stance.
That is so crazy. I can't believe they are even teaching the children so young or even teaching it at all. So scary. What is our world coming to? I have a neighbor who is ok with the whole thing but luckily she doesn't vote. I am not sure how to approach her anyways. We had talked about it when I first moved here and it was very uncomfortable.
So curious to talk to you Shelly and hear your perspective...
Thanks for the video info. That is something I hope people will take into account when they vote. You know how we feel about it, but it is concerning to know that people know the implications and still support same sex marriage. You have blogged about this a few times and I always love to hear what you have to say because you say it so well. I think I should say something on my blog too because I have been shocked to see that people think it is an issue about rights, not a moral issue.
Thanks Jill for the compliment and the support you and Rich have given to Jerry.
WOW! Thank you for keeping me informed on this issue. I had NO idea all that will come from this Prop. This video seems so unreal to me!
My aunt who lives in Temecula sent an email to all of the family around the country to tell of the special fast on the 12th. We'll be participating. Thanks, Susan!
You know, in school textbooks even today, what makes up a family is discussed. I think each child needs to feel the people they live with love them and care for them and they do make up a family. Some kids live with one parent, with grandparents, or aunts and uncles and they make up families. I don't ever see myself teaching that a same sex partnership is a marriage (even if it was the law). I think that in the interest of the feelings of an individual child I would have a hard time telling them that they were not part of a family. Truthfully, I would skip that lesson and avoid the topic completely. I imagine many other teachers would do the same.
Kathryn - I definitely feel for the bind teachers are in. It would be impossible to break a child's heart by telling them they were not part of a family. I hope no teacher ever would take a stand like that which would hurt a child's tender feelings about the people who love them. I think skipping it is best too.
Kathryn - I definitely feel for the bind teachers are in. It would be impossible to break a child's heart by telling them they were not part of a family. I hope no teacher ever would take a stand like that which would hurt a child's tender feelings about the people who love them. I think skipping it is best too.
Post a Comment