Sunday, January 17, 2010

Facebook Fluttering vs. Blogging Banter, Belief, Balm and Balance

Last Sunday I went through my blog list. Several people had updated their blogs with posts of depth and feeling; blogs that touched me and nourished me when I felt depleted. Those feelings reaffirmed, for me, what I think some others are feeling, Facebook is fun but it doesn’t quite capture the moments in life the way a blog can. In fairness to Facebook, I have connected with people I haven’t talked to in years and there are people I have passed in the hall at church that I never knew were funny as heck until I read their posts on Facebook but there is also a lack of depth to Facebook. Like a moth to a flame, I am drawn to Facebook but I miss my own lack of family history that I haven’t captured on my blog for the last six months and I miss seeing updates from friends and family.

Blogging can be narcissistic and superficial and some blogs bug because the author wants to perpetuate a perception of reality that I can never live up to and that doesn’t even exist in their own world. Most blogs however, I love to read. They are life affirming, family affirming and give a perspective of balance, share beliefs and sometimes offer balm to my heart when I feel less than enough and my soul is depleted.

So my goal this year is to spend less time fluttering about on Facebook and spend more time capturing the real moments of our little life; if only for the reason that it is captured for my family to have.

6 comments:

Raich said...

good to see you updating...i've been slacking lately...we were blogging at the same time last night ha ha...sometimes all this facebook/blogging makes my head hurt...why are we drawn to it?? we lived with out it for our whole 30+ years...

Kristi said...

Yay, I am so excited to reading more blog posts from you. And hopefully including pictures of the family.

JeN said...

I'm with ya.. I need to be better about updating my blog and get over facebook.. It is great to stay in contact with people that way, but I agree blogging is more fun!! Thanks for motivating me, You might see an update from me soon:)

Jill said...

That's exactly what I'm saying! I miss really hearing about my friend's lives. Thank you.

jwilson said...

I totally agree with your feelings about facebook and blogging!
Miss you!

Leanne said...

Love your post! I had a wake up call a couple of weeks ago when my sister-in-law pointed out that I will have a senior in high school and a new kindergartner. So I'm trying to blog more and ordering the blog on hard bound book form at the end of the month. Time is going to go by so fast, next thing I know my son will leave on his mission and I will be sad because I didn't take the time to capture all the precious moments.