Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Baby Blues ~ It’s like P.M.S. on steroids…

Just curious…if you could choose would you rather have morning sickness or the baby blues?

I have to say, I have had morning sickness but relatively mild and only actually vomited once…while traveling for business…on a layover from Dallas to California…and I had to run through the airport with my luggage while pregnant to hit the bathroom in time. Not pretty.

I was shocked when I found myself still riding the emotional roller coaster of post partum blues more than 6 weeks after Jared was born. This is how I know post partum depression is real – this little boy of mine was so wanted. After five years of secondary infertility, a lot of prayer and seven months of weekly fasting, I was a little shocked when crazy came to town and stayed far too long. I am glad the baby blues are gone –so glad. I like my sanity and not being overly emotional and irrational and feeling like I am not good enough for anything or anybody 24/7.

So, I am curious. If given a choice, would you rather have morning sickness or post partum depression? Vomiting for months or moderate lack of sanity for months? Not much of a choice, is it?

But the baby is still worth it!!

5 comments:

Tera said...

With my 2nd I got both. I threw up for months with Jacob and was depressed his whole pregnancy. There were times I could barely pull myself out of bed. Though at the time I just thought I was "really tired" and didn't recognize it was depression until much later. After he was born I had the baby blues for a good six months. But the first couple weeks were really bad. I had panic attacks and felt like someone was sitting on my chest. It really is horrible, isn't it? I had no idea you were struggling with this. I am so sorry you had to.

Kristi said...

I think I'd rather have morning sickness. I say that even though my morning sickness is really bad and my baby blues weren't too bad. Sure I cried a lot and wanted to scream all the time. Still, I'd rather have a physical problem than emoitional. It's easier to come to grasp with. Either way, it's a lot to sacrifice for a baby. Oh so worth it. Glad you think it is worth it and have your brain back.

Raich said...

What the heck kinda choice is this? ;) Hmmm...I think I would definetly choose morning sickness. At least you get over it in time to enjoy the last part of your pregnancy and it isn't heaped up on top of recovery. I'm glad you're back to normal!!

Cari said...

If I had to choose, I would choose morning sickness. Even though I was sick for 6 months 24 hours a day with Andrew! I threw up in more public restrooms than I can count. But I would still rather do that than have the baby blues. Although I never suffered from any kind of depression, I cannot imagine having to deal with that, a new baby and healing from a C-section. So sorry you had all three at once! So glad you are feeling better.

Unknown said...

Ohhhhhhhh lady I would much rather have morning sickness. Depression SUCKS!!!! Taking a pill to feel like a normal human sucks even worse. I'd rather puke any day of the week. Love you, glad crazy moved out, unfortunately he now lives with my ex.