This weekend was Stake Conference for our Stake and I have to say I love the Saturday evening session best! The tradition since we moved to this ward has been to get a babysitter, attend the evening session of conference (which is limited to adult members) and go out to eat with friends after. I love this session of Stake Conference best because I am better able to focus on the messages being delivered and for the fun of friends going out after.
I know we are not supposed to skip either session but if I were to choose I would skip Sunday and stay home rather than wrestle Jeremy for two hours while trying to feel the spirit of the meeting on Sunday. I get so much out of the Saturday evening session and always come away motivated to be a better person. I am sometimes overwhelmed by the number of principles that are impressed upon my soul as I listen to the speakers on Saturday evening but am always grateful I have attended. Some of my favorite quotes from last nights session were:
"Instead of asking why did this happen to me, change our perspective to what do I need to learn from this?"
"The Lord speaks to us through the scriptures...the language of the scriptures is absolute in regards to the Lord's power."
"Children need to know that we value and respect what is important to them."
""Hold to the Rod" is the song. The scripture is to "cling" to the rod. There is a difference."
"Don't ever assume the brethren are out of touch. If you think they are go back to the temple and work it out on your knees."
" It (callings) is supposed to be inconvenient. It is your Heavenly Father checking in with you to see where your heart is."
June 15, 2016
10 years ago
5 comments:
I really enjoyed Elder Pearson and of course President Skinner. LOVE President Skinner. One of my favorite quotes from yesterday was If I have not given my children Faith in Jesus Christ I have given them nothing (give/taught?)And I enjoyed being taught there are actual blessings to following commandments. Don't know how this escapes me. I just do it cause I'm supposed to. Nice to know that we actually receive blessings too. Isn't that a cool concept I've missed! That's that part of me that also struggles with humility and independence and thinks I can just do it all myself. Workin on that one. Sorry if my kids were an added stress to your Sunday experience. Thanks for the seat!!
Those talks yesterday were great. Thanks for reminding me of those as well. Your kids were great because you are a great mom and brought a church bag. They were not a distraction at all. I forgot the church bag last time too and had to sit with Jeremy in the foyer for the last hour. Sitting by you actually probably allowed me to sit in the whole meeting because you shared what you brought!
I should follow your example and try to get more out of stake conference. I usually stay home rather than fight the crowds, end up in the very back on metal chairs and struggle with 4 kids for 2 hours. You are a good example! How are you feeling by the way?
My stake conference was amazing this past week too! Our visiting general authority talked during both sessions and both times he pretty much said "your spouse is the most important thing in the world" over and over, just in different ways. But instead of being boring, it was really powerful! My stake president talked about patterning our homes after the temple. He shared some really neat ideas. I usually don't LOVE stake conference, but this time I did. I love your idea of going out to eat afterwards, so fun!
Thanks for the spiritual insight from your stake conf.
Oh....I wanted to see you while we were down in that area. I silent screamed to you as we passed the exit I figured I'd need to take to get to your home.
Colby threw up IN sacrament meeting the morning before we were supposed to leave and then Lex was sick on the ride down. I had hoped to call while we were there to arrange something for the ride back through your area but...That was kind of the theme of our trip-someone was always feeling sick.
It is a lot harder to stop in to see those wonderful friends that you miss when there are little ones (and a big guy) in tow. Know that you were the one I REALLY wanted to see...if only for a minute! I hope you are doing well, Susan. I love to watch your pregnancy counter get lower and lower. I am soooo happy for you!
Take care, Jen
Post a Comment