Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Ultrasound update and act of service update...

I changed my appointment from Monday to this Friday and will have the ultrasound then. I thought I was past the nerves but am getting a little more nervous and will feel so much better after the ultrasound is done and I see a heartbeat.

In the meantime, I thought I would take a minute to tell you about a great act of service...

Starting the day after the embryo transfer I have had to have an injection of progesterone daily. It is an intramuscular shot and is supposed to help ensure the pregnancy has the best possible chance of lasting. On the days Jerry is home, he gives me the shot. I have tried to convince myself I can do these shots myself but every time I think I will try I get a little woozy. I gave myself all of my hormone shots leading up to the egg retrieval - those are subcutaneous and a cinch - but I can't bring myself to jab a 3 inch needle into a muscle in my own body. I watch women on you tube do it and I think they are just swell but I am a sissy and freely admit it.

So on the nights Jerry is at work, Serena (in my ward and an RN) gives me my shot. I had no idea when I started in vitro that I was committing Serena to helping me with injections but she has graciously given me a shot every day that Jerry is gone. She did it for 3 weeks this summer with the first round of in vitro and so far is committed to about 6 weeks to help this pregnancy. I have seen Serena every night for the past week and my gratitude goes beyond words. She is doing for me what I cannot do for myself. Ok - if it was an anti-venom that I had to give myself once and no one else was around I could probably do it to avoid death but a daily shot well, you get the point...

Anyway for those of you who know Serena and are comfortable doing so, tell her how great you think she is for helping me out. It is so hard for me to ask people for help and it is even harder to ask them to help on a daily basis. I am so grateful for her and no matter how often I thank her it never feels like it is enough. So maybe all of you who know her can help me thank her too...

4 comments:

ma'elePHOTO said...

That is so awesome Susan! If I were in the same situation I COMPLETELY trust Serena. What a blessing she is to you during this time!

Kristi said...

I am excited to hear about the ultrasound! I am glad that you moved it up to Friday. Thanks to Serena, she sounds like a good friend.

JeN said...

Wow, that is great.. What a good woman to help you during this great time!!! She is a great friend and an awesome person.. I am excited for the ultrasound results!!!

Unknown said...

Okay first off this sounds kind of like a fish story. Is that needle really THREE inches long? Secondly, it is great that you have some one that is willing to help. I think I would have a hard time with that shot too. I don't mind needles as long as they are not pointed at me. Too bad you don't live closer to us, I could give you a shot, it won't hurt me at all. It looks like we are going the share a birthday after all. Sidney's birthday is July 17 too. James